Issues Concerning Grant County
I support the 2018 Democratic Party of New Mexico State Platform Go to the DPNM website.
- Operating with a balanced budget and maintaining a reserve for when times are tough, as well as being accountable for money spent, should be a priority.
- I support building bridges between the divisions we have in our community; racial, income, ranchers vs environmentalist, sexual orientation, etc.
- I am concerned that we don't have enough Hispanics, Women, or Youth represented in the many organizations working to improve Grant County. We need to be open to new ideas of how to overcome this.
- I support those that serve the greater community in all ways. The men and women that are willing to risk their lives to protect us deserve respect and particular appreciation.
- I believe anything we can do to put our youth in touch with nature by creating opportunities to visit the wilderness and the Gila River can provide healing experiences for them.
- We have some serious issues with chemical dependency, suicide, teenage pregnancy, dropout rates, and various forms of violence in the family that need to be addressed.
- We should promote local agriculture and cottage industries in order to help develop an economy that keeps more of our money circulating in our own county.
- We need to encourage and remove barriers from those that wish to start small businesses in the community. Innovation, creativity, experimentation, and vision are all needed to diversify our economy.
- The minimum wage needs to be increased and we need to work to bring it in line with a “living wage”.
- Gila River
- We need to secure our water future. Water is life. I believe that we can do this without damming the Gila River.
- Water Supply
- We must secure our future water supply for the future and especially preparing for drought times through adequate planning.
- USFS Flyovers
- I oppose the proposed expanded overflights of the Gila Wilderness, or any other encroachment on our wilderness. We must protect this Sanctuary.
- Endangered Species
- Protecting Rare and Endangered Species while allowing for compromise and being sure there is a robust plan for compensating for losses brought about by such protections.
- Climate Change
- As a County Commission, we need to assess and address what the County can do in terms of its energy use and start building our infrastructure using “green principles”.
- Opioid Epidemic
- Drug addiction should be treated as a medical issue, not a law enforcement one. States that have adopted recreational marijuana laws have seen a decrease in opioid overdoses.
- We need to have our hospitals, clinics, and schools focus more on preventative care, so that we can cut down on expensive indigent care costs at the hospital emergency room.
- We should assist the federal government by notifying them of dangerous criminals in our community and resist their efforts in removing those that are here contributing to our community and society.
- We need to find common sense solutions to the rash of gun violence that has gripped our country. The time to have this discussion is now. Solutions won’t come easy, but it must be done.
- Develop a way to help residents to understand fire danger and take action around their homes to develop a “Fire Wise County” and avoid disasters like the Quail Ridge Fire .
- I fully support developing Ft. Bayard into the amazing asset it could be for us by supporting the Village of Santa Clara in their efforts to re-purpose this jewel.
- We should improve our County website and make it more interactive with accessibility to more information, and with a mechanism for feedback from the community.
- I reject the anti-values of: Greed, Selfishness, Laziness, Wastefulness, Close-mindedness, and all the Isms that separate us -Racism-Sexism-political party ism, etc.
- I support values that include: Charity, Acts of Random Kindness, Compassion, Voluntarism, Responsibility, Accountability, Community Service and Open-mindedness.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed
by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."